|home||virtual field trips||regional geology||images||e-learning||links|
These links and readings are provided to support the Sedimentology module at the University of Derby, and are in addition to the classes, and the course and practical notes available from the University of Derby web site. Topics are not necessarily given in exactly the same order as in the course.
Textbook references are to:
TUCKER, M.E. 2001. Sedimentary Petrology: an introduction to the origin of sedimentary rocks. 3rd edition. Blackwell Scientific Publications.
JAMES, N.P. & DALRYMPLE, R.W. 2010. Facies Models 4. Geological Association of Canada. (or equivalent chapters in earlier editions by Walker and James)
Terrigenous clastic sediments
Texture of terrigenous sediments and rocks
- Tucker, chapter 2, sections 2.2, 2.10; chapter 3, section 3.2
Online lectures, tutorials & reading
Virtual field trips
- The Amazing Life of Sand [video 3m:46s]
- Grains of Sand - Exploring Sedimentary Processes (Open University) [video 4m:36s]
- Sedimentary rocks in thin section
- Sorting in sandstones
- Sandstone porosity in thin section (shown up by blue resin)
This page is maintained by Roger Suthren. Last updated 22 November, 2021 12:51