|home||virtual field trips||regional geology||images||e-learning||links|
These links and readings are provided to support the Sedimentology module at the University of Derby, and are in addition to the classes, and the course and practical notes available from the University of Derby web site. It is not necessarily given in exactly the same order as in the course.
Textbook references are to:
TUCKER, M.E. 2001. Sedimentary Petrology: an introduction to the origin of sedimentary rocks. 3rd edition. Blackwell Scientific Publications.
Soils in the sedimentary record
- Tucker, chapter 4, section 4.10.1
- Davies, J.R. 1991. Karstification and pedogenesis on a late Dinantian carbonate platform, Anglesey, North Wales. Proceedings of the Yorkshire Geological Society, 48, 297-321.
- Mack, G.H., James, W.C. & Monger, H.C. 1993. Classification of paleosols. Geological Society of America Bulletin, 105, 129-136.
- Reinhardt, J & Sigleo, W.R. (eds.). 1988. Paleosols and Weathering through Geologic Time. Geological Society of America Special Paper, 216, 181 pp.
- Retallack, G.J. 1990. Soils of the Past: An Introduction to Paleopedology. Unwin Hyman, Boston. 520 pp.
- Wright, V.P. (ed.). 1986. Paleosols: their Recognition and Interpretation. Blackwell Scientific Publications, Oxford. 315 pp.
- Wright, V.P., 1992. Paleosol Recognition: a guide to early diagenesis in terrestrial settings. In Wolf, K.H. & Chilingarian, G.V. (eds.): Diagenesis III. Developments in Sedimentology, 47, 591-619. Elsevier.
Online lectures, tutorials & reading
- The 12 Soil Orders Explore each of the main soil types and examples of them. You do not need to go to suborder level.
- World soil information
- Paleocene palaeosols on the Isle of Wight (scroll down to Reading Formation)
- Internet Glossary of Soil Science Terms
- Soil profile slides
- Keys to Soil Taxonomy USDA Soil Taxonomy system (pdf)
- Helping People Understand Soils
- Soil Survey Manual USDA
Virtual field trips
- Introduction to soils (BGS)
This page is maintained by Roger Suthren. Last updated 28 February, 2017 23:23