|home||virtual field trips||regional geology||images||e-learning||links|
These links and readings are provided to support the Sedimentology module at the University of Derby, and are in addition to the classes, and the course and practical notes available from the University of Derby web site. Topics are not necessarily given in exactly the same order as in the course.
Textbook references are to:
TUCKER, M.E. 2001. Sedimentary Petrology: an introduction to the origin of sedimentary rocks. 3rd edition. Blackwell Scientific Publications.
Sediment transport and sedimentary structures
Hydraulics of sediment transport and deposition
- Collinson, J.D., Mountney, N. & Thompson, D.B. 2006. Sedimentary Structures (3rd revised edition). Terra Publishing. Chapter 3: Basic properties of fluids, flows and sediments
- or Leeder, M.R. 1982. Sedimentology: Process and Product. Chapter 5: Fluid properties and fluid motion.
Online lectures, tutorials & reading
- Transporting Sand Grains - Exploring Sedimentary Processes (Open University)
- Sediment deposition and Stokes' Law
- bedload transport: read the text, then watch the movie - large file!
- these movies require the Quicktime plugin for your browser
This page is maintained by Roger Suthren. Last updated 21 January, 2015 23:19